Monday, March 27, 2017

The art of the detailing

Every automotive enthusiast is going to have a different method for cleaning their vehicle. By no means am I the only person you should listen to or read about on how to wash and detail your car. But I got advice and tips from a few sources, including the demo by the guys at Gloss-It I mentioned in the my last post. So I'm just passing on the knowledge I've gathered to everyone, it's an evolving process.

Phase 1 - Deep Cleaning

So to start, it's best to have a good car-friendly all purpose cleaner that's good at removing built up dirt and grime. You'll want to spray this liberally on your wheels, front fascia, exhaust, and wheel wells. This will help break down all the build up since your last wash, especially brake dust inside the wheels. Let it sit while you get all your other products and water ready. One clean bucket with water /shampoo and another bucket for rinsing, the dirty bucket.

Next is the shampoo/car wash. I start with the wheels as they take the longest. I use a variety of tools to get into the crevices and inside the wheel itself. First is a short bristle brush to scrub the inner wheel behind the arms. Next is a long, soft bristle brush for the front face and lug recesses. Last is a quick once over with a sponge.

After rinsing the wheels, I move on to the rest of the car. Using a hand sponge designed to reduce swirls, I wash one part at a time depending on which side is facing the sun which I do last. So driver side, passenger side, front/hoot, and trunk/rear as 4 parts. Rinse each section after lathering.

From here, you'll want a good quality chamois or drying towel to reduce swirls in your paint. Many people just use a regular bath towel but you'll definitely want something microfiber if you don't use a chamois. One thing you can do to reduce the amount of drying is to blow off the excess water from surfaces and crevices with a leaf blower. After all the drying is done, time to detail.

Phase 2 - Devil in the Details

So you shouldn't worry too much about avoiding water spots after the wash, that's why we detail afterwards. My wash/detail session usually lasts about 90 minutes start to finish. Once you have it as try as can be, get out the quick detail spray of your choosing. The application method I use is to fold a small microfiber cloth into quarters. Use one side as the wet side and the other side as the dry polish side. With the right product, you don't have to spray too much to cover a large area. Head to toe, spray and wipe every inch of surface area.

A quick step after the detail spray is to use a good streak free, automotive window cleaner to get all your windows. Same method, wet side and dry polishing side of the towel.

Lastly, I use the detail spray on my wheels with a separate cloth than I use on my car. The wheels will never be 100% clean even after a good wash so I keep the towels separate. After the wheels, apply the tire shine of your choice. I prefer the clean look from a gel product rather than the wet look of most sprays.

That's basically it. Until next time, stay shiny my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment